CANDLE CARE, SAFETY, & FAQ
Candle Care Tips:
- The 1st time you light your candle - burn for 2-3 hours to build a full melt pool and prevent tunneling
- Before every burn, trim wick 1/4 inch to ensure even burning & avoid unnecessary smoke
- Never burn your candle for more than 3-4 hours at a time
- Stop use of candle once only 1/2 inch of wax remains
Candle Safety Tips:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended
- For your safety, please remove all flammable materials from surface of candle prior to burning
Use a snuffer when extinguishing your candles to avoid hot wax spattering onto surrounding areas
- Be sure that you place your candle on a stable, heat resistant surface
- Keep away from children, pets, flammable objects, and drafts
- Never touch or move a burning candle when the wax is liquid
- Caution when handling, glass may be hot to the touch
- Burn at your own risk. Good Witch Candles is not liable for any injuries or damages, personal, property, or otherwise, that result from poor candle safety.
Why do I need to trim my wicks? Trimming your wick before every burn is very important. If your candle wick is too long, it can cause the candle to smoke and blacken the sides of your glass vessel. We recommend that you cut the wick 1/4 inch using a wick trimmer or small household scissors before every burn.
How do I remove the excess wax to reuse the glass jar? Run hot water into the vessel and add mild dish soap. Soak until the wax and wick are loose. Wash your vessel with warm soapy water and a sponge, leave to dry, and reuse in any way you want! Our recycled glass jars are great for storing jewelry, crystals, or planting succulents!
What is candle tunneling? Tunneling is a term used to describe the tunnel around your wick that can appear when wax near the center of your candle burns deeper than the edges. To avoid this, it is vital that you get your first burn just right. You must burn your candle for a minimum of 2 hours so the wax can melt to the edge of the vessel. Doing so will help avoid tunneling and creates what is known as a "memory ring". Make sure to never burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time and allow your candle to fully cool before relighting.
Why isn't the appearance of my candle completely smooth? All of our candles are made from all natural soy wax, which can cause some candles to differ in appearance from time to time. Natural waxes contain vegetable oils, which causes the wax to "reset" in a natural form. Uneven wax is typically a good indication that our products are free of artificial additives other companies use to enhance the candle's appearance. This will not affect the quality or burn time of your candle. Fragrance oils can also differ in shade and therefore may slightly tint the wax, as well.
Are all the ingredients in a Good Witch Candle eco-friendly? Yes, we use all-natural soy wax and chemical-free fragrance oils infused with essential oils. We do not use ingredients that are derived from animal products and our soy wax is biodegradable and water soluble.